Tuesday, May 28, 2013

That tiny shred of hope...

... or how lives can change dramatically from one day to the other... 




Last Saturday, my parents came to pick me up in Leiden and we went back to Belgium as fast as we could, because my grandma had to undergo an emergency surgery. Unfortunately, we didn't see her before she left for the operation, we arrived late, and that's certainly a pity, because since Saturday, she's been in a coma, and she still hasn't woken up... 


I still have that tiny shred of hope, every time I go to visit her - that is, twice a day - that she'll open her eyes. We talk to her, we ask her to fight, to not give up, but we know it's hard for her as well as for the entire family. I do believe that she can hear us, because there's been enough proof of that already. You often hear that coma patients are still aware of the presence of family members. And we have even more proof, because yesterday and this morning, when we came in and started talking to her, her blood pressure rose, which was a good sign. Since yesterday morning, they quit the type of medication that held her in coma. Now she has to do it on her own. She's almost breathing without the help of the machines that used to keep her alive initially. 



These are difficult times. I know I've been complaining every once in a while about other situations, but this is certainly serious business. This is about the difference between life and death. We also have to wait for the results of the tumor that has been removed. Furthermore, there will without doubt follow more operations, because the doctors admitted that my grandma is in fact very ill. Whether she will wake up and when remains the question. 



I just wanted to write this short post in honour of my grandma Marcella, because I love her very, very much. She's such a special person, she's always happy and friendly... and to see her lying there in that bed in the ICU, with all the tubes and machines... it breaks my heart... :(


Please, mémé, we need you, please wake up!

Please keep a candle burning, and if you believe in God, pray to Him in order for her to wake up. We as a family can use all the support we need. Thanks for all your prayers and for keeping me and my family in your thoughts.



Love,
Debz

2 comments:

  1. Keeping my fingers crossed, Debz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Randy, I appreciate it! For un update, see my forthcoming post. I don't know when I'll be able to write it, but I'll certainly do it asap. Luckily, my grandma is feeling a lot better already! It's a miracle!

      Delete