Thursday, January 21, 2016

A place called home

Isn't this something what we're all longing for: A place called home? It's one of the needs of the human race: shelter. However, if we look back in time, the human being has adapted this shelter to its own whims. When we were still living in the prehistoric times, we used to decorate the walls of our caves. Now, this "shelter" takes on quite different shapes. A couple of weeks ago, I saw Cristiano Ronaldo's "shelter" on Facebook. It looked marvelous, that's the least I can say. If I compare it to the place I call home, well... Let's say there are some remarkable differences, not in the least the differences in luxury and space.


I've been living in the Netherlands for 13 years right now, and I haven't regretted it for most of the time. The only problem in comparison to the village where I used to live in Belgium is that here there really is a housing problem. Some seven years ago, I decided that I would probably stay here in the city of Leiden instead of going back to Belgium. That's when I realised I should have put myself on a list much earlier. Truth is, only after roughly six or seven years on the list do you qualify for a small house or flat. That is even a minimum, as I have experienced lately. 


Since I came back from the CIB (Centre for Intensive Treatment) I've been looking for a small house or flat in the beautiful city of Leiden. It hasn't been easy and unfortunately I haven't been successful. I've reacted a couple of times and I've been invited to a handful of visits. It gives you a good feeling to be invited, you know, you kind of feel a Very Important Person every time you end up in the top 10. However, every time I ended up second, third, fourth... Nearly, but not good enough. It really is kind of frustrating. Two weeks ago, however, I ended up first. I was so excited! This was the very first time I had it all in my own hands. Now it was up to me whether I took the house or not. I think I've been living on cloud nine for the entire week before the visit. At first, I was quite certain I would take it, especially since my parents and I paid the house a visit and saw that, from the outside, it looked old - it was build in 1926 - but thought that with some painting we could make something beautiful of it. However, three days before I'd go for the official visit, the house-building put an offer for 60 new estate apartments on the website, also in the city of Leiden and even quite near the city centre. I didn't know what to do. I was torn between two choices, because there were only 60 apartments available, so it would be a gamble. I could make a guess at the new estate apartments, or take an old house and make the best of it. What would you do?


So I went to the visit of two old houses in the same street. The first one was a huge deception. There was a lot of fungus in the dormitory, it was filthy. It was also smelly, there hung a bad smell in the entire house, the shower and kitchen were old... I decided not to take it, without even thinking about it. The other house in the same street was in a much better condition, and I had more difficulty in making my final decision, but I also rejected this one and I took a guess at the new estate apartment. I just knew that I wouldn't forgive myself if, in the end, I would turn out in a favourable position for the new estate apartments. 

My life has taken on a new dimension lately. Every morning, I check my position on the list. Every day is another deception, however... Whereas I started out on position 21, I am now on 65... It really was a gamble, as you can see. Still, there is hope. A woman from the house-building encouraged me to be hopeful. It's still possible that people in the first group refuse the offer or that they don't have the necessary papers. So that's what I'm doing right now: HOPING! The inscription will close on Tuesday the 26th of January. Only then will I know my final position and can I start hoping that people will cancel their inscription. Please people, keep your fingers crossed and hope together with me that at least 5 people will cancel their inscription or refuse the offer. Then I'll be the happiest Belgian girl in Leiden! I hereby invite you to my housewarming at the Prinsenhoek in Leiden, in May-June 2016 :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment