Friday, May 13, 2016

From Pelican to Prince: Day two

Becoming a big girl means that you take certain decisions in your life and that you give your life a little swing. Also, you take big steps when it comes to becoming independent. Yesterday was a suitable example of my newly required independence: I finally received the keys of my very first own appartement. 


After having lived nearly 14 years in a three by four student's room, it was about time that I got my own place and left the Pelikaanhof, a student's flat in the centre of Leiden. I've always loved living there, fair enough, but now I'm already 33 and sometimes I feel like I'm the babysitter of my housemates. Well, not exactly, I might be exaggerating somehow, but my youngest housemate is only 19 years old! Also, they expect me to fix things when there's something not working properly or something has to be done. What's more, they are all still studying, while I'm teaching language classes. Consequently they have other priorities than me. Sometimes they irritate me and sometimes I might be a source of irritation for them. At least, I think that's how it works. 


I think it will be hard for me not to share my bathroom or kitchen with anyone anymore! NOT! It will be hard to say goodbye to my twelve square metres. NOT! It will be uncomfortable to have SPACE to live in, instead of having to crawl between furniture, backpacks, plastic bags with books and notebooks. NOT! 

Not my room, by the way ;)

So yesterday I got the keys! A moment full of magic! I was so proud! As I had other obligations, I couldn't really enjoy the first hours of new inhabitant of the Prinsenhoek in my appartement, I only arrived there in the evening. I moved some of the cardboard boxes full of books and some personal stuff, and then late at night, I went there to spend the night. It may sound a little strange, I mean, it was still empty, completely empty, but I had to be there early in the morning, because I expected a lot of special deliveries, and as they weren't specific as to when they would deliver the products, I had to be available at my appartement the entire day. While I was waiting for the deliveries to arrive, I started to prepare the walls for painting. All day long, it was hectic at the Prinsenhoek, but in a positive sense. As the entire building is new, I'm not the only inhabitant moving in. I'm very curious to get to know my neighbours, but until now, nobody was home. 


So now, after having taken a shower and having rinsed all the dust from my face and arms, I'm back at my student's room in the Pelikaanhof. Tired but happy and content from the work that I've done today. I'm actually waiting for my parents to arrive. They were so kind to offer me their help during the coming weekend. We're going to paint the walls and put laminate on the floor. We'll see how far we'll get. In any case, I hope to move over as fast as possible. Now that I've been in my appartement the entire day, I've experienced the taste of independence! 


No comments:

Post a Comment