Thursday, March 21, 2013

And the award goes to...

In these times of studying for tough exams and preparing nasty presentations students want to change the direction of their thoughts every now and then. In Dutch, we students have a beautiful word for this activity. It's called "SOG'gen", where SOG stands for "Studie Ontwijkend Gedrag" en de -gen is just the ending of the verb. It practically means something like "Study Avoiding Behaviour". So now I'll properly take my time to SOG.


You know, dear reader, I have a Blue friend. No really, a Blue friend. Actually, he's not my friend, he's in fact my English teacher. Still, I take the freedom to call him "my Blue friend", hoping that he won't mind. And he's quite an accomplished person, if you ask me. Not only is his knowledge of English vocabulary and grammar endless and awe-inspiring, he also knows how to make unhappy people like me enjoy each and every one of his lessons. I swear it's true, I don't like to miss out on any of his lessons, however bad I'm feeling. He's the best English teacher I've ever had, and comes very, very close to the best teacher (in general) I've ever had. No hard feelings there, I hope ;) Anyway, my Blue friend is the one who was the inspiration and motivation for my own blog, for the simple reason that he already had a blog, and I swear to God, his writing style is so amusing, so inspiring, so diverse. I really enjoy reading his posts, and he deserves all the exquisite comments he gets. People are raving about his blog, and they have damn good reasons to do so. That's why I've decided that my dear Blue friend deserves (another) award. I write "another", yes, for he has received several up till now, and last week, he created one himself and gave it to two of his blogging comrades. That was enough reason for me to dedicate the "versatile blogger award" to him.


I actually had a hard time choosing between no less than two awards that would fit his blog evenly well. Still, I chose this one, because his posts surprise me time and time again. You should have a look yourself, just google: "blue grumpster blogspot" and there he appears in all his blue glory. Now, I have to be somewhat cautious with this, because there have been some problems he honestly didn't deserve, which is the reason I wanted him to give that other award too. But let's keep that between me and my lovely Chico and, who knows, maybe there'll be another opportunity at which I can award him that one too. We'll see what happens. This is what my Blue friend looks like:


Pretty blue, ain't he? :) He calls himself "the blue grumpster", but I can honestly tell that I haven't seen him that grumpy (yet), and when he was, he had very good reasons to be so. So he isn't that grumpy at all, if you ask me. Only his beautiful Bollywood wife will know, that's for certain ;)

So Randy, this one's for you. You deserve it more than I can express. You are a true example, and thanks to you I started my own blog, which helps me to cope with my life, which can be very tough at times, as you know. A blog post can sometimes bring more relief than a simple chat with my psychiatrist or nurse. Your blog can make me laugh because of its absurdity sometimes - when you wrote about those human turds, remember? - but it can also make me think of some essential things in life. That's why it's truly a versatile blog. And I mean each and every word I write now. You are an example and deserve world-wide respect. Now, enjoy your name on my Wall of Fame and keep on blogging. Vertically challenged Debz is watching you ;) (A joke only my Blue friend will understand :D)

7 comments:

  1. Vertically challenged Dez is watching me? I tell yah, if I didn't know the personwho wrote that line, I'd have to give myself a lollipop to console myself. I mean... it does sound a bit scary. First Big Brother, then Tiny Debz? What are the odds?

    I'm not really a teacher though. Don't believe everything The Vertically Challenged tell you on their beach. But since you gave me an award, Dez, I feel you're entitled to my version of the truth that's known as virtual reality. On day one I kidnapped the guy who was to teach that course you paid way too much for back then in the year dot, and I still keep him hidden in my closet like a little monkey. To make a long story SHORT (no pun intended), I feed him apples (the kind of fruit monkeys love most) and tell him to shut up whenever he tries to convince me a present perfect is about the past. I swear. But I guess you already knew that, with you watching my every move and all. ;)

    Thanks for the award and the kind words, and remember....there's no turd like a human turd. Ew.

    P.S. What do you mean 'very close'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come it sounds scary? It's the painful truth ;) I'm keeping tabs on your blog, not on your life though. That would require too much effort LOL :D

    Ah, so you kidnapped my true English teacher even before I started level 5A? Waw, that's been a while... Do you still keep him hidden in your closet? The poor guy! You should feed him bananas, though ;) Or no, better stick to apples, for bananas raise his stamina, and you don't want that to happen! So no, this is something I didn't know. Any chances I could meet him? Maybe I can explain him everything about the present perfect ;)

    What do I mean by "very close"? Well, as in extremely, tremendously, remarkably, exceedingly close ;) (Thank God for my precious Thesaurus LOL)

    Now enjoy your "versatile blogger award". You certainly deserve it.

    Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the first 'serious' books I was 'requested' to read in high school was 1984. Since then 'is watching you' scares me like my ex on a sunny day. As for your real teacher... I decided to set him free now that I'd achieved my goal: that award is mine, alright ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1984 is such a good book! I read it last summer. Loved it! And even though I'm sometimes a little bit paranoid, I'm not as traumatized by the book as you seem to be ;)

      Yes, the award is yours, so the poor guy can finally be set free :) Anyway, I'd prefer to stick with you as a teacher. So send him to wherever you want, but don't allow him to take your place. Deal?

      Delete
    2. A bit? Did you say a bit? Do you know where you can easily get rid of it? Well? HERE

      Delete
    3. Sorry, Grumpster, I'm not following you here... :( How come can I get rid of my paranoia by reading your blog? I've read the post, though, but I don't get it. Need an explanation!!

      Delete
    4. Or maybe you mean I could go to Bora Bora? Don't have a clue how to get there, though, with my insignificant income... Or I could hide me in your suitcase, of course, as I'm vertically challenged ;)

      Delete