Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pink dragon

No, this post is not about a fancy or kinky equivalent of the movie "Red dragon", nor is it about anything that has to do with dungeons and dragons, no. This post has in fact more to do with the pink dragon in the TV series Dora, loved by the youngest kids of this generation. I hear you all think: "Has she gone insane?" And I can tell and reassure you: Not more than the usual kind of craziness ;)



This post is all about how to cope with some kind of intimidation. You see, I'm a little bit afraid and intimidated by my Sensei. "What's a Sensei?" I hear you ask. As you probably know by now, I've taken up karate, and when you go to a training, you call your teacher "Sensei". Well, I'm pretty afraid and intimidated by one of our Senseis. However, I'm not too afraid in the sense that I'm so taken aback that I cease going to training. No, it's just that I don't feel comfortable when she is teaching or when she's giving a remark or even just when she's the only one around. She's a very severe and tough teacher, nevertheless she's very, very good and thorough. So it's all very complicated. Last week for example, she was teaching, and I got a positive remark - which was the first positive remark ever. Can you imagine I was completely bowled over and slightly confused? So I was doing something very well, and immediately after the remark, I made countless mistakes. 


So I talked about our Sensei with my psychiatric nurse. I didn't know how to cope with this growing feeling of uneasiness. She asked me if and how I could describe her with a picture of an animal. I definitely could: a roaring dragon. That was step 1. The next step was a little bit more difficult: I had to think of a replacing image which could make it easier for me to approach her. You see, the story isn't complete yet. We - as in Sensei and I - have a history. When I appraoched the club, I was still admitted to the psychiatric clinic and I felt obliged to tell this to the Sensei. She immediately told me there was actually no place for psychiatric patients in the club. I asked why, because I thought that was quite harsh to say, and she said there had been some bad experiences with a borderliner, and she asked me right away if I was a borderliner. I endorsed. What else could I do? I always like to be straight, no matter what. So she sent me to another Sensei. I talked to the other Sensei, who accepted me after having talked with me and having experienced that Borderline and Borderline can be two completely different things. However, I think that the other Sensei still hasn't found peace. I'm not going into any detail here about what had happened with the borderliner earlier in the club, but I can tell you, it was a pretty ugly story, one that doesn't resemble my kind of behaviour in any way. However, we got off on the wrong foot, and I think that's what's going on here.


Anyway, I couldn't answer the question of my psychiatric nurse, I couldn't think of anything else. So she came up with a suggestion. She has a three-year-old daughter, who adores Dora, and in one of Dora's stories there appears a pink dragon. I had to laugh right away, because although I haven't seen the story with Dora and the pink dragon, I had an image of a pink dragon in my mind, this one in fact:


So we were talking about pink dragons, and if I could see my Sensei as a pink dragon instead of as a roaring dragon, spitting fire. I actually could, so it became even a little bit funny. Not that I don't have respect for my Sensei, to the contrary, I feel very respectful towards her, but it's just the way you look at somebody. If I keep on being afraid of her, it won't get any better. It's maybe kind of normal that I feel intimidated by her, because she has the black belt and I'm only a beginner, wearing the white belt and making many mistakes. However, I have to try to think that one day, she was also wearing the white belt. And I can feel this respect I feel, but why should I feel fear? She's also just a normal human being, and if I imagine her being this cute, pink dragon from above instead of the roaring dragon, maybe I can normalise the relationship. I feel the same kind of respect, but without the fear, towards the other Sensei. Maybe that's because we've met in an informal occasion, I don't know. In any case, I think this kind of image has helped me to see her more as a human being who can be soft and friendly and all that too. It's just up to me. If I keep up avoiding her, or being afraid of her, she will definitely notice this, and then it's over. Then she will never give me a chance. So, Debz, what's it gonna be??


 

No comments:

Post a Comment