Thursday, September 11, 2014

Where were you 13 years ago?

September, 11th, 2001. Many of you will remember that day as one of the most horrific days in American history, or rather, in worldwide history. If you don't remember that day, then you must have spent that day and the following days on another planet. The United Stateds were attacked that day by a terrorist organisation, named Al Qaeda, led by Osama Bin Laden. So, where were you that day? I was in pretty much the same situation as I am in right now, although not in the exact same spot. Still, I was also in the isolation cell and heard the news after the airplanes had hit the Twin Towers.


I think many people think back to this day with horror and anger, maybe also with sadness. A lot of people have lost friends or acquaintances in the attack, and it's still so incomprehensible. Why did Al Quaeda do this terrific deads? Why kill so many innocent people? I just don't get it...


Terrorism is an act of unacceptable violence. That's maybe why I'm so against radical Muslisms, Muslims who don't adapt to the circumstances they live in. I grew up in a rather xenophobic, conservative family, so there's always been that hatred and fear against foreigners. No, I'm not talking about white people, but about black people, and especially Muslims. My father really loathes them, exactly because they come in the news so often, in a bad way that is. It's just that these extremists are the blame for the rest of the Muslim people. However, when I'm walking here in the city of Leiden and I see a group of Muslim women, lots of children, not speaking the language nor adapting to the clothing style of the country, I also feel some kind of loathing. Sometimes even I think a headscarf isn't acceptable in some jobs. In others, it is. It's a religious symbol, they say. I rather think it's a symbol of humiliation, but who I am to judge about the headscarf, right? 


Anyway, I am a christian, and I'd like to defend my religious beliefs. Of course there are also radical christians, but they don't do - or in any case much less - war. And that what it's all about in Islam: Jihad! "Spread the word and kill anyone who doesn't want to accept the word of Mohammed!" Because we, the non-believers, are the enemies of the radical Muslims. We should be eradicated. 


When I think again of the images of people jumping of the buildings of the Twin Towers that day, I get goose bumps, just like any other time when I think back about it. It was horrible, it wasn't human, it was a disaster! So many innocent lives because Mister Osama Bin Laden wanted war with America. Well, he got what he wanted, and now the miserable bastard is dead. That's one. Now we have to end with any kind of radicalism, be it christian or islamic. There's nothing good about radicalism. So eradicate that!


So, where were you? Were you at work? Maybe at the bus stop, reading a newspaper? Were any of you in New York that day? I was in the isolation cell, as I am today, with every now and then a short break to write this blog post for example. I'll never ever forget that day, especially the images. It still tears my heart apart. RIP to all those who died that day and to all those firefighters, policemen and other people who helped to save other people, but who died in the attempt. You are true heroes!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment