Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Because we're a team, that's why

As some of you may know, I don't have an easy life, nor is it obvious that I'm still alive at only 29. Especially the last 12 years have been below par. I've been struggling, because I think I deserve a normal life too. However, it hasn't been easy. I won't torture you, my dear reader, with a description of those 12 abominable years. It wouldn't be good for you, and I think I would only harm myself even more if I recalled all those bad memories. Still, I want to tell you something about Borderline Personality Disorder, because May is BPD awareness month.


Almost 10 years ago, I decided to move to the Netherlands. That wasn't easy at first, because I had severe psychiatric problems. However, I couldn't stay in a country in which I had been maltreated in so many ways... The memories were just too painful. The Netherlands offered me a brand-new start, or at least, that's what I assumed. However, I'd only just started studying Astronomy when I realised my problems had moved with me. I hadn't been able to leave them behind back in Belgium. So I went into therapy once again. And guess what, here in the Netherlands the treatment was completely different. The approach of my Borderline Personality Disorder was... new, inspiring but at the same time quite hard to endure.


What exactly does "Borderline Personality Disorder" mean?  Well, what's in a word? It means a whole lot of trouble for the persons involved, as well for the patient as for his/her environment. I felt shattered, extremely lonely and rejected by everyone. I couldn't cope with the pain, so I had my own ways of dealing with my problems, including cutting myself or taking too many pills. I was so destructive... About three years ago, however, after another admission and another change of meds, things seemed to change. Step by step, I gained more strength and my life took an unexpected turn. I suddenly was able to LIVE instead of just SURVIVING. I obtained my Bachelor's degree in Latin American Studies Cum Laude. The relationship with my parents improved a lot and I'd stopped punishing myself for all the misery in my life - read: I'd stopped cutting myself. And the most incredible fact is that this situation went on for about three years... until about three months ago. A change of meds and probably the workload and high expectations related to my Master caused a relapse, and a serious one. I had to be admitted to the psychiatric clinic and all the misery I thought I'd lost forever came back. But let me not go into detail, let's look at TODAY. Because I've achieved one thing: I'm still alive, which can be called a little miracle much as I wanted to be dead so that I didn't have to suffer anymore. I didn't do it on my own, however. I survived because we're a team: Berend, Gerdien and the one and only Debz :) I wasn't always happy with their decisions, not to mention my frustration and my distrust of them. But we made it. Yesterday, Gerdien told me she thought they deserved a special decoration, in this sense:

So I made them one, because, although I didn't always approve of their decisions, in the end we made it, and I wanted to show them that I do have a sense of humour and that I appreciate their effort. Because we're a team, that's why!

May is Borderline Personality Disorder Awareness month. Did you know that in the Netherlands alone, a rough 250,000 people suffer from this psychiatric disorder? That's almost 2% of the population. In the US, this number is estimated to be even higher. If you want to learn more about BPD, follow this blog, I'll try to post something about the topic every now and then. Otherwise, read a book about it, google the topic or watch a movie. I can recommend this one, and I have it at home, so if you want to watch it, just ask:



8 comments:

  1. Gracias por compartirlo Debz! Cómo te quiero! siento que hemos hecho una parte del camino juntas. Espero que siga nuestro camino por mucho tiempo más. Tendré más tiempo en junio para seguirte. Porque esto no es para leerlo corriendo. No señor!... un beso grande grande, y gracais por tanto amor, verdad y fuerza en tus palabras... Marce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias por tu mensaje, Marce! Sé que me quieres y TQM también :) Sí, la verdad es que en la vida, nunca estás solo en el camino, siempre hay gente que te acompaña de una u otra manera.

      Beso grande, Debbie

      Delete
  2. What a nice and pleasant read! No big drama's and yet still very personal! I'm sure things will work out in the end. Of course I'm not completely 'in the know', but I do have the feeling you are getting a grip on life in general more and more. And therefore changing the happy/sad*moments for the better! Good luck with all and everything!
    Arjen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arjen, thanks for your message! It wasn't really easy to write, but I was inspired by that picture about the Borderline Personality Disorder Awareness month, and I thougt I should write something about it.

      My life is getting better again, I hope I can make progress every day. We can only be thankful for the beautiful moments and try to enjoy them. You never know how long it will last...

      Delete
  3. What's in a word.... Well, you can say that again! 250,000 people.... is that a fact. That sure is a lot. I had no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Randy, it is a lot indeed, but few people are aware of that. And that's an estimated number, so maybe in reality there are even more, who don't receive the diagnosis because they only have minor problems and are too stubborn to go and see a psychiatrist. By the way, many young people only receive the diagnosis when they're 18 or older while the problems could have been going on for a much larger period of time. That was in fact also what happened to me... But hey, look at the bright side, now I'm an expert in the field and I can write about it :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just downloaded "Girl interrupted" the other day (before I read this), so quite a coincidence. I'll watch it. You're strong, Debz, you can do this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is no such thing as coincidence ;) It's a good movie, I think you'll like it! Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it! And yes, I'm a lot stronger than I used to be ;) I hope you're doing fine too! We miss you hear at 164!

    ReplyDelete